I have blessed to have the opportunity to travel to Santa Rosa de Copan, Honduras for five weeks.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Food

I love, love, love the new fruit I've been able to try. My favorite fruit so far is https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgYf-Ao2dBUb9VoMPY3s1faCvEjOVWjUOEjEpffYoirr-tHRuxuMvV85fnvn6YqGfsle-2GuPsq10zP3ZVJlbnRM7lVqVJiH0f3qgwUhWE0j4LlhU4neklUKudMBcaFhZKLUIgeYbnc/s400/guanabana.jpg. This is very tart by itself but with a little salt, it is YUMMY! Other common items to eat are papayas, mangos, tortillas, bananas, black beans, little bananas, soup, squash, cooked bananas, rice, chocolate covered bananitas, cheese, plaintains, potatoes, avacados, chicken...oh, and bananas. There is no shortage of bananas. Oranges are in plentiful supply, too. Everything is fresh and pretty much made from scratch. Sometimes I have some time to spend in the kitchen with the girls in charge of cooking. They are so sweet and let me help. It's not uncommon that what I make does not look as great as what they make but they are very encouraging. Plus, if what I make is ugly, they don't say it's ugly but they insist I eat it rather than serving it to the Sisters :). Here is a picture of two of the girls working in the kitchen and also a picture of the little kitchen where the tortillas are made and some of the food is cooked.

I love this little door in the middle of a big door. It is where food is passed from the kitchen to the dining area.

I eat my meals with the Sisters. It's a bit awkward the majority of the time because they speak kind of fast for my Spanish learning ears and often times, I'm just not sure where to look. I don't want to laugh when they laugh because they all know I don't understand what's funny and that I'm just laughing because they are. They do a great job of trying to include me, which I appreciate. I just kind of divert my eyes and listen intently for my name so I know they might be talking to me. Here is a picture of our dining table. For a bit, I got to sit at the big table when a couple of the Sisters were out of town. Now I get to sit at the little table (at the far end of this picture)...it reminds me of sitting at the kid's table at family gatherings.

2 comments:

  1. I never would have guessed you'd be so well fed and so happy with the food. Wonderful!!

    Will you cook something for me someday? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll totally cook for you! I'm working on writing down some fantastic recipes. I'm positive people show their love through food all over the world. I definitely feel loved here :)

    ReplyDelete